Friday, April 4, 2014

Relay For Life

I'd say today was a pretty normal day, woke up at 430AM, went to work for 12.5 hours, and came home to my loving dog. Then I decided to attend an event that no matter how many times I attend, changes my life. My alma mater hosted Relay For Life tonight, an event with the American Cancer Society to help find a cure. While attending college I was always at the event, supporting my friends, and my family.

Jamaican A Difference
This year I attended as an alumni, and I was still just as moved. The sorority that I advise for decided their theme would be "Jamaican A Difference" and they would sell smoothies during the day, and chili later tonight. They also won recognition for over all best setup/fundraiser/theme, and I couldn't be more proud. Tonight I walked the track in memory of my grandfather, who passed away in 2007 from lung cancer; my aunt who is currently battling, and my family members who are survivors. Cancer, unfortunately, does not discriminate. I applaud the individuals who fight battles larger than some of us will ever know. I can only hope that one day we will be successful in medicine, in finding a cure.

Pilnas
On my back I have a memorial tattoo, in honor of the lives I have lost in my life. One of them being my grandfather, truly a man of strength. Throughout his battle he never asked for sympathy, but rather support. The tattoo is a Lithuanian sun cross (Yes, I'm actually Lithuanian). The center "Pilnas" is in my own handwriting, and means "Full of Strength". I wear it, branded to my skin, as a daily reminder of the people that once surrounded me. I know that with them watching from above, I am capable of conquering any thing.

 God Bless <3

No comments:

Post a Comment